The Department of Health first published the Public Health Outcomes Framework (PHOF) for England in January 2012, setting out a vision for progress in public health. The framework was revised in August 2016, presenting a refreshed PHOF for England 2016-2019; a set of indicators helping us to understand how well public health is being improved and protected.
Local quarterly commentary
Our local PHOF commentaries for November 2017 highlight key changes to indicator RAG-ratings with the data updates released in the quarter, as well as providing information on newly published indicators and other key changes.
Nov 17 PHOF Summary Cambridgeshire (570.43 KB)
Nov 17 PHOF Summary Peterborough (462.06 KB)
Aug 17 PHOF Summary Cambridgeshire (383.45 KB)
Aug 17 PHOF Summary Peterborough (316.13 KB)
2017 Annual review for Cambridgeshire
In May 2017, we completed an annual review of the data in PHOF for Cambridgeshire. In the review, we compared the latest available data with the most recent previous rating, helping to assess recent change and progress.
In the latest version of the data tool, it's possible to view data for Cambridgeshire and its districts, or Peterborough and its statistical neighbours, in a simple overview.
- Go to www.phoutcomes.info
- Click ‘Start’ or choose one of the domains of public health
- For Cambridgeshire and districts: On the overview tab, choose: a) Area type: District & UA; b) Areas grouped by: County & UA; c) County & UA: Cambs (Fig 1)
- For Peterborough and statistical neighbours: On the overview tab, choose: a) Region: East of England; b) Area: Peterborough; c) Select CIPFA nearest neighbours for Peterborough
The PHOF focuses on two high-level outcomes to be achieved across the public health system: 'Increased healthy life expectancy' and 'Reduced differences in life expectancy and healthy life expectancy between communities'.
A supporting set of public health indicators in the PHOF are split over four domains:
- Improving the wider determinants of health
- Health improvement
- Health protection
- Healthcare public health and preventing premature mortality
Public Health England launched an interactive PHOF Data Tool for England in November 2012, providing baseline data at upper-tier local authority level for a number of indicators, comparing local values to national averages. New and amended baseline data, additional latest data and data for lower-tier local authorities continue to be added and updated on a quarterly basis.
The latest technical specification can be found at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/public-health-outcomes-framework-2016-to-2019