A violent crime can describe a wide range of different offences. It usually is when someone physically hurts or threatens to hurt someone, and can involve the use of a weapon. An offence will be recorded as a violent offence regardless of whether any physical harm was actually inflicted on a victim. The intention to cause harm is enough to record the crime as a violent crime.
It is worth noting that Violent crimes can happen in public spaces such as in the street, clubs and pubs, as well as at home or in the workplace, and often the victim knows the person who attacks them.
Violent crimes can include:
- alcohol and drug-related violence
- domestic violence
- gun and knife crime
- gang violence
- hate crimes (disability, faith, gender, gender identity, race or sexual orientation)
- murder or manslaughter
- sexual violence (such as rape or sexual assault)
As part of our work with the local Community Safety Partnerships we have been commissioned to undertake several reports on Violence across the County in recent years. Violence is not unique to one district in the County so each district has had bespoke reports created or has had the topic of violence featured in a wider strategic assessment.
All of the relevant reports can be found below in the reports section as well as in the document library.
Useful links and further information
For local information and guidance relating specifically to Domestic Abuse and Sexual violence please click here
To access Cambridgeshire Constabulary’s website please click here.
- Huntingdonshire Q4 Strategic Assessment 2017/18: Violence – Without Injury & Within the night time economy
- Cambridge City Q1 Strategic Assessment 2017/18: Violence within vulnerable groups
- Cambridge City Q3 Strategic Assessment 2016/17: All Violence including Domestic Abuse
- East Cambridgeshire Q2 Briefing 2016/17: Violence Against the Person
- Fenland Q3 Strategic Assessment 2014/15: Violence with focus on community cohesion
- Huntingdonshire Q4 Strategic Assessment 2016/17: Violence including end of year review
- Huntingdonshire Q2 Strategic Assessment 2015/16: Low level violence
- Huntingdonshire Q4 Strategic Assessment 2014/15: Violence
- South Cambridgeshire 2016 Annual Strategic Assessment
- South Cambridgeshire 2015 Annual Strategic Assessment
- South Cambridgeshire 2014 Annual Strategic Assessment