South Cambridgeshire

About South Cambridgeshire

At the time of the 2021 Census, housing in South Cambridgeshire looked something like this:

    • The population of South Cambridgeshire was 160,792 making up around 66,996 households.

    • 14% of households or around 9,696 were renting from the council (8%) or a housing association (6%).
    • 14% of households or around 9,461 were renting privately from a landlord or letting agent, or were living “rent free”.
    • 71% of households or around 47,839 owned their own home including those with a mortgage, owned outright, and including 1,677 households living in “shared ownership”.


I need advice, am homeless or might be…

Local authority housing advice

Local authorities have a duty to advise and assist any resident with a housing problem. If a person is homeless, threatened with homelessness, being harassed or thinks they are being illegally evicted; if they cannot afford housing in a suitable location etc. they can approach local authority for advice and assistance. These teams will help the customer find a suitable solution for their individual situation.

Street Support Cambridgeshire

There is a website called Street Support Cambridgeshire which can help whether you are homeless and looking for help, you re concerned about someone who is homeless, or you would like to offer your time, goods or funding to help local homeless people.


Any reports of rough sleepers anywhere in the UK should be flagged to the appropriate service via Streetlink. There is an app to download which enables you to outline your concerns and where you have seen the person rough sleeping. If you are concerned and feel it is an emergency situation, please dial 999.

The duty to refer

Organisations can contact the district housing team using the “duty to refer” where there is a risk of homelessness.

If you believe someone has nowhere to sleep tonight, or is under threat of homelessness within the next 56 days, please use these on-line forms to provide as much information as possible, with the person’s consent. The aim is for organisations to work together to try to prevent someone becoming homeless, wherever possible.

Please speak to housing advice as soon as possible and do not rely solely on the on-line forms, and you can call housing advice to speak to someone.

Who to contact if a homeless person is preparing to leave hospital

This note sets out who to contact if someone preparing to leave hospital is homeless or has housing issues: How to get help if someone preparing to leave hospital is homeless 040923

I need to find a new home

Apply for social housing: Home-Link

Home-Link is a system to help people choose the social housing they’d like to live in, rather than being ‘allocated’ a home by the local authority. It’s known as a “choice-based lettings” system which seven local councils use to let newly built social and affordable housing, and to let homes which become empty because the previous tenant has moved out. Home-Link helps:

  • council and housing association tenants who need to move from one property to another for example if their needs change – maybe needing a smaller home, a larger home, somewhere nearer to a new job, or needing specialist housing.
  • private renters and home owners who need social or affordable housing, and qualify for it (there is an application process).

You can apply to Home-Link on-line. You need to be registered to have the chance to bid.

Once you are registered, in South Cambridgeshire the housing register is managed locally by South Cambridgeshire District Council (in some areas, this task is provided by a local housing provider).  You can get in touch here…

Renting from a private landlord

How to rent

This link takes you to a government checklist, published October 2023 : How to rent – the checklist for renting in England (pdf).

This guide is for tenants and landlords in the private rented sector to help them understand their rights and responsibilities. It provides a checklist and more detailed information on each stage of the process, including:

  • what to look out for before renting
  • living in a rented home
  • what happens at the end of a tenancy
  • what to do if things go wrong

The checklist can be found on this page of the website.

Buy your own home

How to buy a home

This government leaflet sets out How to buy a home including working out what you can afford, and the various freehold options available.

There is a separate leaflet on how to lease, here How to lease

There are a number of government schemes available to make buying a home more affordable. You can use the “own your own home” on-line tool to find out which scheme is right for you by answering some simple questions. The schemes include:

  • The mortgage guarantee scheme
  • Help to Buy (equity loan)
  • Shared ownership
  • The right to buy
  • … and others.

To find out more, please visit

Build your own home

Councils in England have to keep a register of people who are interested in self build or custom build in their area. This register helps the council know the level of demand for such plots, so it can develop a strategy to match people to plots in their area. Cambridge City is working with South Cambridgeshire District Council on the register. The register also helps bring together groups of households who want to custom build homes in the same area.

You can find out more about the Cambridge and South Cambridgeshire approach, on Cambridge City Council’s website.

Where I live now

I rent from the council

South Cambridgeshire District Council owns and manages council housing in South Cambridgeshire. Here are some useful links providing information for South Cambridgeshire council tenants

I rent from a different social landlord

Housing associations and other registered providers own and manage social rented and shared ownership homes in South Cambridgeshire. You can find a list of housing providers, registered with Homes England, which own or manage housing locally, with links to their websites, here:

List of housing associations:

I rent from a private landlord or letting agent

There is useful guidance on how to make sure your rented home is safe, here How to rent a safe home

You can also use this link to check how to get repairs done in your rented home

This link takes you to on-line advice for private renters and landlords in South Cambridgeshire:

I own my own home

There are a number of service for people who own their own homes, detailed on the rest of this page.

I need some support to stay safe and well

Home Improvement Agencies

Home improvement agencies are local organisations dedicated to helping people of all ages who are vulnerable, have a disability or a limited life expectancy (including older people, babies and children) to live safely and with dignity in their homes. Services for residents focus on making sure that existing housing is fit for purpose and that vulnerable people can continue to live independently for as long as possible. Housing association tenants, private tenants and homes owners can apply.

CambsHIA operates in Cambridge, Huntingdonshire and South Cambridgeshire. CambsHIA can offer …

  • knowledge and expertise about home repairs, maintenance and adaptions.
  • information and advice about the options you have to deal with unsuitable housing.
  • project managing works from start to finish.
  • guidance and assistance with funding applications to your local council or other funders.
  • use of our approved and experienced contractors.
  • other sources of support and information and assistance that may be useful.

In South Cambridgeshire, council tenants need to go direct to the council for information and advice about works to make your home suitable for your needs.

CambsHIA will charge a fee for helping you improve or adapt your home.

Handyperson Scheme

Cambridgeshire Handyperson Service is for people aged over 65 or those with a disability living in Cambridge City, East Cambridgeshire, Fenland, Huntingdonshire or South Cambridgeshire. It is run by Age UK. The service aims to prevent falls and accidents by offering a free personal assessment, home safety check and arranging small jobs to be carried out.

Visiting support for residents aged over 65

In South Cambridgeshire a visiting support service is offered to residents 65 years of age or older.
It is a short-term support service providing confidential, emotional, financial and practical support and promoting independent living in the community. When a resident is referred, by themselves, family or friends, GP or someone else, we perform a needs and risk assessment that tells us how we can best help.
This service is free. Each person is to complete a needs and risk assessment, to appraise their eligibility for the service. This assessment will be carried out confidentially and in a sensitive way.

Floating support

If you need support in your home, particularly support which helps maintain your tenancy or will prevent homelessness, “floating” support may be needed. It is called floating because it is not tied to a particular building or housing scheme, it can be provided to almost any type of home.

Across Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, P3 provides the floating support service. This web page outlines the service in Cambridgeshire. You can refer yourself to get floating support – the best way to do this is using the on-line self-referral form.

All support is offered via appointment, you can call or email to make an appointment. Professionals can also call to seek some guidance about the service.

I need some support to deal with domestic abuse

If you or someone else is in immediate danger, you should call 999.

The Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence Partnership provides a lot of helpful information and links

Other useful numbers are:

  • Cambridge Women’s Aid covering Cambridge, South Cambridgeshire and East Cambridgeshire 01223 361214
  • Cambridge Rape Crisis 01223 245888
  • Peterborough Rape Crisis 01733 852578

You can find the South Cambridgeshire page on domestic abuse at

I need some support to deal with anti social behaviour

You can find out about anti social behaviour and contact the anti social behaviour team at South Cambridgeshire District Council, particularly around council tenancies, by visiting:

I need some help related to hoarding

If you are concerned about hoarding, you can find more information at this page:

I need some help following a crime

Victims & Witness Hub

You can find independent and confidential advice for victims of crime using the Victims and Witness Hub.
You don’t need to have reported your crime to the Police to receive support. For free, confidential and tailored advice on which service can best suit you, use the link or call the phone number for the Hub.


You can use “fearless” to report any crime, anonymously, using an online form, 24 / 7


Neighbourhood policing

This link takes you to contacts for Neighbourhood Policing Teams in each district

The Probation Service

The Probation Service has centres in Cambridge, Wisbech, Huntingdon and Peterborough. Addresses for each are listed below:

  • Cambridge 27 Warkworth Street, Cambridge CB1 1EG
  • Wisbech: The Jo Berridge Rooms, 25/26 The Boathouse, Harbour Square, Wisbech PE13 3BH
  • Huntingdon: Godwin House, George Street, Huntingdon PE29 3BD
  • Peterborough has 2 centres: Peterborough Magistrates Court, Bridge Street, PE1 1ED and 12–13 Adam Court, Peterborough PE1 5PP

Outside Links

Provides support following prison release

Work & money matters


Each district oversees the administration of benefit applications and payments. This link provides a first point of contact for benefit issues and advice in South Cambridgeshire

Local Council Tax Team

Information on the South Cambridgeshire council tax team can be found here:

Government’s Department of Work and Pensions

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is responsible for welfare, pensions and child maintenance policy. As the UK’s biggest public service department it administers the State Pension and a range of working age, disability and ill health benefits to around 20 million claimants and customers.

Job Cente Plus

Find your nearest job centre plus (JCP) at (you will need to type in your postcode)

There are several JCPs across our area, but it’s not always obvious which JCP a person to attend (it’s based on the postcode area you live in). So we recommend you use the link above to make sure you find the correct JCP before making contact, this should save some time. We have inclued a list of the JCPs and phone numbers below, to help once you have identified which you need to contact:

  • Cambridge JCP: Henry Giles House, 73-79 Chesterton Road, Cambridge CB4 3BQ. Phone 0845 6043719
  • Ely JCP: 52b Market Street, Ely CB7 4LU. Phone 0800 0556688
  • Wisbech JCP: Albion House, Albion Place, Wisbech, PE13 1AN. Phone 0800  1690190
  • Huntingdon JCP: Pathfinder House, St Mary’s Street, Huntingdon, PE29 3TN. Phone 0800 1690190
  • Peterborough JCP: 45, Bridge Street, Peterborough PE1 1HA. Phone 0800 1690190 or textphone 0800 169 0314
  • Bury St Edmunds JCP: St Andrews House, St Andrew St North, Bury St Edmunds IP33 1TT. Phone 0800 169 0190 or textphone 0845 608 8551

Home energy advice

On this web page you can find out about:

  • Energy saving
  • LEAP (the Local Energy Advice Partnership)
  • Home energy advice
  • Solar Together Cambridgeshire
  • Home Energy Conservation Act
  • Energy Company Obligation (ECO)
  • Incentives

For more on this:

LEAP (the Local Energy Advice Partnership)

South Cambridgeshire District Council has partnered with LEAP which offers a free energy advice service for our residents and aims to tackle fuel poverty.

LEAP offers telephone-only energy and income advice services in our LEAP areas under the service name, “Connect for Help”, a programme funded by the Warm Homes Fund.

Please note that this service does not offer home visits or small measures like light bulbs and draught proofing. However, it does still offer all the advice services including the benefit entitlement checking and income maximisation.

The service is available to anyone that either is already in, or is at risk of falling into fuel poverty. It is open to all types of householders – homeowners, private renters and social housing tenants. You can check the eligibility criteria on the Connect for Help website.

Referral partners can refer eligible households, vulnerable tenants, and homeowners on low income into the scheme, online.

Energy Savings Trust

You can also visit the national Energy Savings Trust website for other information and updates

Money and Pensions Service (MaPS) and money helper

MaPS promotes financial well being, and Money Helper givers free impartial help with money (backed by the government) for individuals

Making Money Count

Making Money Count offers everyday help with money; beng online; finding work; renting; universal credit. All the information is reliable, practical and easy to follow. It is brought to you by organisations working across Cambridgeshire, West Norfolk and Peterborough who want to help make life fairer for everyone.

Cambridgeshire Local Assistance Scheme

The Cambridgeshire Local Assistance Scheme (CLAS) provides information, advice and practical support for people experiencing financial difficulty and hardship. For more information and to apply, or to apply on someone’s behalf (referrals), please contact your nearest CAB.


Building Better Opportunities

There are four linked projects covering Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, which work hard to help people get into, or get back into, work.

Health matters

GP surgeries

GPs across Cambridgeshire and Peterborough are listed here:

I am worried about housing

First Response Service

The First Response Service is run by Cambridgeshire & Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust. You can access a mental health team by dialing 111 and choosing the mental health option. You will be put through to the First Response Service. Specially-trained mental health staff will speak to you and discuss your mental health care needs – instead of having to go to A&E.

The service operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and provides support, advice and treatment. It doesn’t matter whether you are currently in contact with mental health services or have been in the past.
Individuals, carers, family members and friends can use the service. Call the number to contact a coach.

I need some help related to drug or alcohol use

The specialist drug and alcohol service Change Grow Live provides support to people affected by drug and alcohol use.

Some helpful directories

Keep your head

Keep Your Head is a directory of mental health and other support across Cambridgeshire. It covers three areas: children, adults and professionals, and includes links to agencies, self-help, crisis and news.

“How Are You” websites

“How Are You” websites bring together everything in the local community that is good for mental wellbeing.

Be well Cambridgeshire

Includes information on drugs, alcohol, mental health and other topics, from our local Public Health team

Care and support information directory

Carers Directory

Guide to Independent Living

Provides information and support to help people stay independent, safe and well, latest version 2020/21

I have a different issue

Your local council

If you need to contact the council, you can find their contact information here:

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

The CAB is a charity that gives free, confidential information and advice to help people with their money, legal, consumer and other problems. The service aims to provide the advice people need for the problems they face, and to improve the policies and principles that affect people’s lives. Trained advisers help write letters, make phone calls, negotiate with creditors and represent clients at tribunals and courts.

South Cambridgeshire is part of the Cambridge & District CAB area.

Care Network

Care Network provides help and advice through their Community Navigators.

Cambridgeshire Online Directory of Services

This directory provides listings of services, events, groups, organisations and clubs across the county. The Directory is being updated daily with the latest information about what is currently available

Adult social care

For short term / low level support, and long term care and support you can access services via the Customer Services team at


If you have safeguarding concerns

Early Help for children


If you want to correct any of the links or information on this page, please contact