About Peterborough

At the time of the 2021 Census, housing in Peterborough looked something like this:

  • The population of Peterborough was around 213,464 making up 84,533 households.

  • 19% of households or around 15,760 were renting social or affordable housing from a housing association.
  • 25% of households or around 20,714 were renting privately from a landlord or letting agent, or were living “rent free”.
  • 57% of households or around 48,059 owned their own home including those with a mortgage, owned outright and including 1,167 households in “shared ownership”.


I need advice, am homeless or might be…

Local authority housing advice

Local authorities have a duty to advise and assist any resident with a housing problem. If a person is homeless, threatened with homelessness, being harassed or thinks they are being illegally evicted; if they cannot afford housing in a suitable location etc. they can approach local authority for advice and assistance. These teams will help the customer find a suitable solution for their individual situation.


Peterborough City Council delivers a range of advice and assistance to those with accommodation needs, for Housing Association tenants, private renters, home owners a property or have no fixed address. The council offer free and confidential advice on various housing related subjects. This link takes you to contact details and opening hours for the housing advice service Peterborough housing advice”


Local authorities have a duty to advise and assist any resident with a housing problem. If a person is homeless, threatened with homelessness, being harassed or thinks they are being illegally evicted; if they cannot afford housing in a suitable location etc. they can approach the district housing for advice and assistance. The council teams will try to help the customer find a suitable solution.

This link takes you to Peterborough’s page of information about homelessness, including a contact phone number:

Safer off the Street

There is a website called Safer off the Street which can help whether you are homeless and looking for help, or you would like to offer to help local homeless people.


Any reports of rough sleepers anywhere in the UK should be flagged to the appropriate service via Streetlink. There is an app to download which enables you to outline your concerns and where you have seen the person rough sleeping. If you are concerned and feel it is an emergency situation, please dial 999.

The duty to refer

Organisations can contact the district housing team using the “duty to refer” where there is a risk of homelessness.

If you believe someone has nowhere to sleep tonight, or is under threat of homelessness within the next 56 days, please use these on-line forms to provide as much information as possible, with the person’s consent. The aim is for organisations to work together to try to prevent someone becoming homeless, wherever possible.

In the event you unable to access the ALERT portal please contact Housing Needs on 01733 864064 or email us at

Who to contact if a homeless person is preparing to leave hospital

This note sets out who to contact if someone preparing to leave hospital is homeless or has housing issues: How to get help if someone preparing to leave hospital is homeless 040923

I need to find a new home

Apply for social housing: Jigsaw

Peterborough City Council’s Housing Needs team has a common Housing Register and a joint allocations policy which was agreed in partnership with ten housing associations who have accommodation in Peterborough.

Choice Based Lettings is a way of allocating social housing. It gives people seeking accommodation with a social landlord the choice of the type of property and area of the city they would like to live.

Properties that become available through housing associations in the Peterborough Homes partnership are advertised through the Choice Based Lettings scheme and the Peterborough Homes Housing Jigsaw website.

Renting from a private landlord

How to rent

This link takes you to a government checklist, published October 2023 : How to rent – the checklist for renting in England (pdf).

This guide is for tenants and landlords in the private rented sector to help them understand their rights and responsibilities. It provides a checklist and more detailed information on each stage of the process, including:

  • what to look out for before renting
  • living in a rented home
  • what happens at the end of a tenancy
  • what to do if things go wrong

The checklist can be found on this page of the website.

Buy your own home

How to buy a home

This government leaflet sets out How to buy a home including working out what you can afford, and the various freehold options available.

There is a separate leaflet on how to lease, here How to lease

There are a number of government schemes available to make buying a home more affordable. You can use the “own your own home” on-line tool to find out which scheme is right for you by answering some simple questions. The schemes include:

  • The mortgage guarantee scheme
  • Help to Buy (equity loan)
  • Shared ownership
  • The right to buy
  • … and others.

To find out more, please visit

Build your own home

Councils in England have to keep a register of people who are interested in self build or custom build in their area. This register helps the council know the level of demand for such plots, so it can develop a strategy to match people to plots in their area.

You can find out more about the Peterborough approach on their website.

Where I live now

I rent from the council

In 2004 Peterborough City Council transferred its housing stock to Cross Keys Homes.

As there is no council housing any more in Peterborough, it’s most likely you are renting from another social landlord.

My home is rented from Cross Keys Homes

You can find out more about Cross Keys Homes here:

I rent from a different social landlord

Housing associations and other registered providers own and manage social rented and shared ownership homes in Peterborough . You can find a list of housing providers, registered with Homes England, which own or manage housing locally, with links to their websites, here:

I rent from a private landlord or letting agent

There is useful guidance on how to make sure your rented home is safe, here How to rent a safe home

You can also use this link to check how to get repairs done in your rented home

This link takes you a page of on-line advice for private renters and landlords in Peterborough:

I own my own home

There are a number of service for people who own their own homes, detailed on the rest of this page.

I need some support to stay safe and well

Home Improvement Agency & Handyperson

Home improvement agencies and handyperson schemes are local organisations dedicated to helping people of all ages who are vulnerable, have a disability or a limited life expectancy (including older people, babies and children) to live safely and with dignity in their homes.

Services focus on making sure that existing housing is fit for purpose and that vulnerable people can continue to live independently for as long as possible.

Peterborough’s adult social care service runs a handyperson scheme, which offers assistance to vulnerable, older and disabled residents to maintain, repair and adapt their homes. The service also offers help and advice about keeping homes warm, safe and dry during the winter months. These two schemes are set out on the council’s support to stay at home page, here Peterborough support to stay at home

Care & Repair Peterborough

Care and Repair Peterborough assists disabled, aged and vulnerable people to adapt and maintain their homes and where appropriate access funding for work. The agency is part of Peterborough City Council and is in an excellent position to help clients access housing grants, including

  • Disabled Facilities Grants, following an occupational therapist assessment in all cases and means tested where appropriate
  • Repair Assistance Grant, to tackle serious health and safety hazards in properties, all applicants are means tested
  • Other funding alternatives include approaching charitable organisations, benevolent funds etc.

Care and Repair’s aim is to assist people to continue living independently in their own homes and ensure those homes are safe and warm. Care and Repair also runs a Handy Person Scheme to help households occupied solely by elderly and/or vulnerable people living in the Peterborough area. The scheme is free and is available to home owners and tenants who are elderly or considered vulnerable. Residents are only asked to pay for the cost of materials used.

Visiting support for residents aged over 65

In Peterborough, Age UK is piloting a visiting support service for people age over 65. You can find out more here:

Floating support

If you need support in your home, particularly support which helps maintain your tenancy or will prevent homelessness, “floating” support may be needed. It is called floating because it is not tied to a particular building or housing scheme, it can be provided to almost any type of home.

Across Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, P3 provides the floating support service. This web page outlines the service in Peterborough. You can refer yourself to get floating support – the best way to do this is using the online self-referral form.

All support is offered via appointment, you can call or email to make an appointment. Professionals can also call to seek some guidance about the service.

I need some support to deal with domestic abuse

If you or someone else is in immediate danger, you should call 999.

The Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence Partnership provides a lot of helpful information and links, which you can find here:

Other useful numbers are:

  • Refuge for Fenland, Huntingdonshire and Peterborough 07787 255821
  • Cambridge Rape Crisis 01223 245888
  • Peterborough Rape Crisis 01733 852578

You can find the Peterborough page on domestic abuse at

I need some support to deal with anti social behaviour

You can find out about anti social behaviour and contact the anti social behaviour team at Peterborough City Council by visiting:

I need some help related to hoarding

If you are concerned about hoarding, you can find more information at this page:

I need some help following a crime

Victims & Witness Hub

You can find independent and confidential advice for victims of crime using the Victims and Witness Hub.
You don’t need to have reported your crime to the Police to receive support. For free, confidential and tailored advice on which service can best suit you, use the link or call the phone number for the Hub.


You can use “fearless” to report any crime, anonymously, using an online form, 24 / 7

Neighbourhood policing

This link takes you to contacts for Neighbourhood Policing Teams in each district

You can also use this link to report to the Police:

The Probation Service

The Probation Service has centres in Cambridge, Wisbech, Huntingdon and Peterborough. Addresses for each are listed below:

  • Cambridge 27 Warkworth Street, Cambridge CB1 1EG
  • Wisbech: The Jo Berridge Rooms, 25/26 The Boathouse, Harbour Square, Wisbech PE13 3BH
  • Huntingdon: Godwin House, George Street, Huntingdon PE29 3BD
  • Peterborough has 2 centres: Peterborough Magistrates Court, Bridge Street, PE1 1ED and 12–13 Adam Court, Peterborough PE1 5PP

Outside Links

Provides support following prison release.

Work & money matters


Each district oversees the administration of benefit applications and payments. This link provides a first point of contact for benefit issues and advice in Peterborough

Local Council Tax Team

Information on the Peterborough council tax team can be found here:

Government’s Department of Work and Pensions

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is responsible for welfare, pensions and child maintenance policy. As the UK’s biggest public service department it administers the State Pension and a range of working age, disability and ill health benefits to around 20 million claimants and customers.

Job Cente Plus

Find your nearest job centre plus (JCP) at (you will need to type in your postcode)

There are several JCPs across our area, but it’s not always obvious which JCP a person to attend (it’s based on the postcode area you live in). So we recommend you use the link above to make sure you find the correct JCP before making contact, this should save some time. We have included a list of the JCPs and phone numbers below, to help once you have identified which you need to contact:

  • Cambridge JCP: Henry Giles House, 73-79 Chesterton Road, Cambridge CB4 3BQ. Phone 0845 6043719
  • Ely JCP: 52b Market Street, Ely CB7 4LU. Phone 0800 0556688
  • Wisbech JCP: Albion House, Albion Place, Wisbech, PE13 1AN. Phone 0800  1690190
  • Huntingdon JCP: Pathfinder House, St Mary’s Street, Huntingdon, PE29 3TN. Phone 0800 1690190
  • Peterborough JCP: 45, Bridge Street, Peterborough PE1 1HA. Phone 0800 1690190 or textphone 0800 169 0314
  • Bury St Edmunds JCP: St Andrews House, St Andrew St North, Bury St Edmunds IP33 1TT. Phone 0800 169 0190 or textphone 0845 608 8551

Local Energy Advice Programme

‘LEAP’ is a free energy and money saving advice service. The programme is provided by AgilityEco alongside a number of partner organisations. It is delivered in close partnership with Local Authorities, including Peterborough City Council and Housing Associations. LEAP offers a free of charge in-home advice visit. The page also sets out information on:

  • warmer homes
  • solar PV panels
  • green homes grant
  • other energy strategies and projects

Find out more at:

Energy Savings Trust

You can also visit the national Energy Savings Trust website for other information and updates

Money and Pensions Service (MaPS) and money helper

MaPS promotes financial well being, and Money Helper givers free impartial help with money (backed by the government) for individuals

Making Money Count

Making Money Count offers everyday help with money; being online; finding work; renting; universal credit. All the information is reliable, practical and easy to follow. It is brought to you by organisations working across Cambridgeshire, West Norfolk and Peterborough who want to help make life fairer for everyone.

Building Better Opportunities

There are four linked projects covering Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, which work hard to help people get into, or get back into, work.

Health matters

GP surgeries

GPs across Cambridgeshire and Peterborough are listed here:

I am worried about housing

First Response Service

The First Response Service is run by Cambridgeshire & Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust. You can access a mental health team by dialing 111 and choosing the mental health option. You will be put through to the First Response Service. Specially-trained mental health staff will speak to you and discuss your mental health care needs – instead of having to go to A&E.

The service operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and provides support, advice and treatment. It doesn’t matter whether you are currently in contact with mental health services or have been in the past.
Individuals, carers, family members and friends can use the service. Call the number to contact a coach.

I need some help related to drug or alcohol use

The specialist drug and alcohol service Change Grow Live provides support to people affected by drug and alcohol use, known as Aspire CGL

Some helpful directories

Keep your head


“How Are You” websites

“How Are You” websites bring together everything in the local community that is good for mental wellbeing.

Carers Directory

Guide to Independent Living

Provides information and support to help people stay independent, safe and well, latest version 2020/21

I have a different issue

Your local council

If you need to contact the council, you can find their contact information here:

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

The CAB is a charity that gives free, confidential information and advice to help people with their money, legal, consumer and other problems. The service aims to provide the advice people need for the problems they face, and to improve the policies and principles that affect people’s lives. Trained advisers help write letters, make phone calls, negotiate with creditors and represent clients at tribunals and courts.

Peterborough is supported by CitaPeterborough CAB

Care Network

Care Network provides help and advice through their Community Navigators.

Peterborough Information Network (PIN)

Provides information and advice along with listings of services, events, groups, organisations and clubs in Peterborough. The PIN is being updated daily with the latest information about what is currently available

Adult social care

For short term / low level support, and long term care and support you can access services via the Adult Early Help team:


If you have safeguarding concerns

Early Help for children


If you want to correct any of the links or information on this page, please contact