Useful contacts

Some useful contacts

This list provides useful contacts for organisations seeking help, advice and referrals for their customers.

If you spot any contact information which is out of date, please get in touch and put us right, we want this listing to be as useful as possible to everyone. Please e-mail

The homelessness duty to refer

Guidance, referral form and national directory of contact emails
Local authority locator Where to apply for emergency housing from the council (by entering the postcode where you have a local connection. This might be where you’ve lived recently, have close family or work:

Duty to Refer

East Cambridgeshire

Online referral:

South Cambridgeshire

Homelessness, housing advice, housing options

Cambridge City Council Housing Advice Service Online referral:

Online referral when once it’s been established the person is homeless / threatened with homelessness and is eligible for assistance:

01223 457918

Out of Hours:  0844 3353944

East Cambridgeshire housing advice & homelessness ECDC homelessness 01353 665555

Out of hours: 07710 978900

Fenland District Council Housing advice team Fenland’s housing advice webpage FDC housing advice 01354 654321

Out of hours: 01354 654321

Huntingdonshire’s housing advice Link to Huntingdonshire’s housing advice page. 01480 388218

Out of hours: 01480 434167

Peterborough City Council housing advice & homelessness Advice and assistance for Housing Association tenants, private renters, home owners a property or have no fixed address. Contact details and opening hours for the service here Peterborough housing advice and this link takes you to information on homelessness, including contact phone number Peterborough homelessness 01733 864064

Out of hours: 01733 864157

South Cambridgeshire District Council housing advice Page about SCDC’s housing advice service 03450 450051

Out of hours: 01253 501117

Housing associations / registered housing providers

You can visit this page to find a list of the larger housing associations in each district.

Dual diagnosis street outreach service The service works with entrenched rough sleepers who are still rough sleeping or who have recently moved into a hostel or temporary accommodation in Cambridge City


01223 271015 or 01223 271011

Hours: Business hours Monday to Friday, 0900 to 1700 excluding Bank Holidays

Choice based lettings schemes

There are two different choice based lettings systems in our area, each having it’s own website and application process and putting out adverts for social rented housing as each home becomes empty. The process of getting people registered on each system may be done by the local council, or by a housing provider. These are listed below…

Home-Link – covers Cambridgeshire and West Suffolk
Jigsaw – covers Peterborough
Cambridge The City Council holds the housing register


01223 457917
East Cambs Sanctuary Housing holds the register


0800 131348 or 0300 1233511
Fenland Clarion Housing holds the register: see


0300 5008000 (from a landline) or 0300 3336557 (from a mobile)
Huntingdonshire Huntingdonshire District Council holds the register


01480 388388
South Cambridgeshire SCDC holds the register


03450 450051
West Suffolk West Suffolk Partnership holds the register, see


Private rented housing

Cambridge A page of on-line advice for private renters and landlords in Cambridge on a wide range of subjects here: Advice for private landlords and tenants ?
East Cambs East Cambridgeshire’s Environmental Services, Domestic Team provides information for landlords and tenants to make sure they are safe in their homes. Tenants can contact the Domestic Team and ask for an inspection if housing repairs are not being carried out by the landlord or if advice about the condition of your home is needed.

Council’s private sector housing private sector housing page. Housing information for landlords and tenants, contact phone number for the team and links to on-line help can be found at ECDC domestic team.


Fenland District Council’s private rented accommodation page, including team contact details FDC private rented accommodation page.

On-line advice for private landlords, including bringing empty homes into use FDC landlord advice

Huntingdonshire HDC enforcement officers help make sure private homes are fit, safe and healthy to live in. You can find a page of advice and information for landlords and tenants using these two links… advice for landlords and advice for tenants ?
Peterborough This link takes you to Peterborough City Council’s page on private housing advice Peterborough private housing advice ?
South Cambridgeshire Pages on tackling private housing which is in poor condition SCDC’s housing in poor condition page

Link to SCDC’s guide to private renting


Floating support

P3 Floating Support Service Cambridgeshire


On-line form


0808 1698099 (freephone)

Anti social behaviour

Cambridge You can find out about and contact the anti social behaviour team at Cambridge City Council by clicking here Cambridge anti social behaviour team.

This link takes you to Cambridge City Council’s pollution, noise and nuisance page.

Email  or

01223 457950
East Cambs


01480 388388
South Cambs 03450 450 051

Adult early help

Adult Early Help, Cambridgeshire 0345 0455202
Adult Early Help, Peterborough

Mental Health

Crisis For those in mental health crisis requiring an immediate telephone triage Dial 111
and Option 2
Crisis Phone line for professionals 01480 442007
Moderate to high severity For those with mental health problems moderate to high severity

All referrals should be channeled via the GP route to PRISM

Mild to moderate severity For those with mental health problems of mild to moderate severity, refer to the Psychological Wellbeing Service 0300 3000055
Cambridge Mental Health Community Support (Riverside Housing Group) Provides support for people 18+ with mental health issues who need help to maintain their accommodation and who are not already supported by NHS mental health services.

Riverside helps people issues such as depression, schizophrenia, bi-polar and personality disorder.

The service is available in Cambridgeshire, Fenland, Huntingdonshire and South Cambridgeshire. You can access this support service by referral from a range of agencies.  

Please follow the link to find out more Cambridge Mental Health Community Support
Psychological Wellbeing Service IAPT Service for Cambridgeshire and Peterborough. Can phone to self-refer – programme details can be found here. Referral form here 0300 300055

Substance misuse

Adults in Cambridgeshire

For adult substance misuse services Cambridgeshire 

CGL 0300 5550101
Young persons Cambridgeshire

For young persons substance misuse services Cambridgeshire

01480 445316
Adults and  young persons Peterborough

For all age substance misuse services Peterborough

Aspire 01733 895624

Citizens Advice

Cambridge & District CAB This link takes you to the Cambridge CAB website Cambridge CAB, covering Cambridge City and South Cambridgeshire
Rural Cambs CAB  This link takes you to the Rural Cambs CAB website Citizens Advice Rural Cambs, covering East Cambs, Fenland and Huntingdonshire
Peterborough CAB This link takes you to Citizens Advice Peterborough’s homepage Cita Peterborough (CAB) and this page provides map, address, opening hours and contact information Cita Peterborough (CAB) contact us

Welfare Benefits

Cambridge This link provides a first point of contact for benefit issues and advice at Cambridge City Council benefits issues and advice
East Cambridgeshire This link provides an “entry level” web page for the finance and benefits service ECDC benefits
Fenland Fenland’s council tax, housing benefit and business rates and a “do it online” button here: FDC council tax, benefits and business rates
Huntingdonshire Huntingdonshire District Council’s benefits, council tax and money page here: HDC benefits page
Peterborough This link takes you to options about various benefits and benefit related issues Peterborough benefits page and this link takes you to contact details for the revenues and benefits service Peterborough contact benefits service page
South Cambridgeshire This link provides a first point of access for such issues for SCDC benefits. However South Cambridgeshire customers are encouraged to get help using the “contact us” facility at SCDC contact the council

Home Improvement Agencies

Cambs HIA (Cambridge, South Cambs and Huntingdonshire)


01954 713330
Kings Lynn & West Norfolk Care & Repair E-mail contact 01553 616677
East Cambs Care & Repair Services

E-mail contact

01353 616950
Peterborough Care and Repair


01733 863895

Other useful contacts

Cambridge CVS

E-mail contact
Peterborough CVS E-mail
Hunts Forum E-mail
Cambridge & district volunteer centre E-mail
Cambridge Besom Project E-mail
Age UK E-mail Lynne or Gloria


Care Network Cambridgeshire E-mail


Fire service Install interlinked smoke alarms in each accessible room
Gives Fire safety advice on particularly on
Electrical, kitchen, candles, electric blankets, fires and heaters
0800 917 9994
Environmental Health Note separate checklist for whether Environmental Health may become involved.
Will consider serving notices under Environmental Protection Act 1990, Prevention of Damage By Pests Act 1949 or Housing Act 2004
Will consider ‘Works in Default’ if notices not complied with by occupier
Contacts listed under Private rented housing, above
Social Landlord Visit person to inspect the property and assess support needs
Referral to local Floating Support Service to assist in the restoration of services to the property where appropriate.
Ensure person is maintaining tenancy conditions
Enforce tenancy conditions relating to tenant responsibilities
If person refuses to engage serve Notice of Seeking Possession under Ground 13 to Schedule 2 of the Housing Act 1988
See Housing providers page
Private landlord Inform Housing Advice Team at the City/District Council if a private landlord has a tenant who displays hoarding behaviour and is not aware of it. Housing advice teams have the knowledge and ability to challenge any unlawful evictions that might result from hoarding.
Voluntary agencies Offer debt advice
Support for person with hoarding
Gardening services
GP Visit person – carry out assessment and refer to appropriate mental health teams – consider mental health crisis concordat
Police Complete and submit MASH 101 form or protocol referral form
Consider legal action
Ambulance service Complete and submit MASH 101 form or protocol referral form
Animal Welfare RSPCA Visit property to undertake a wellbeing check on animals at the property
Educate person regarding animal welfare if appropriate
Provide advice / assistance with re-homing animals
Consider removal of animals to a safe environment
Take legal action for animal cruelty if appropriate
Safeguarding Adults at risk and Safeguarding Children and young people under 16 years In the case of concerns about abuse or neglect, make a safeguarding referral as appropriate to the adult or children safeguarding team
Home Improvement Agencies / adaptations services Visit occupier to assess suitability of accommodation\identified need for adaptations or repairs Assess housing options (including potential relocation)
Work with occupier or other agencies on a strategy to assist in clearance (as appropriate) to enable agreed works to be planned and completed
Administer and oversee construction and fixed housing equipment projects agreed with the client (or responsible adult\agency)
See Home Improvement agencies, above
Psychological Wellbeing Service IAPT
Cambridgeshire and Peterborough
Self referral via 0300 300 055
Programme details can be found at: Procol Appendix 9a Support to Recover S2R Criteria and 9b Mind referral form 
Cambridge CVS
Peterborough CVS
Hunts Forum
Team Lead Hunts Community Occupational Therapy
Children’s Occupational Therapy representatives
OT Therapy Lead
Team Leader City Therapy Team/Complex Housing OT
Area Lead for Cambridge and South Cambs Therapy Services
Cambridge & district volunteer centre
Cambridge Besom Project
Age UK;
Care Network Cambridgeshire




  • Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Accommodation Protocol – Pathways home for people with experience of the Criminal Justice System v1.0 December 2018, here
  • Co-occurring principles, Cambridgeshire & Peterborough, posted September 2020  here
  • Housing guide here
  • Hoarding protocol 2016, here

Please help…

…by getting in touch with contacts we can add in, by emailing

Thank you.