9 Feb 2017. Take a look at our new page for Primary Care Profiles. This page includes the latest Quality and Outcomes Framework (QOF) data for practices and localities in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough CCG, as well as local authority district views of the data.
Cambridgeshire and Peterborough’s Public Health Intelligence Team provides population health analytics to Cambridgeshire County Council, Peterborough City Council, Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Clinical Commissioning Group and to our partners.
What is public health intelligence?
A framework of knowledge, methods, processes, tools and techniques for:
- Measuring health and wellbeing risks and determinants, health needs, health outcomes, health status and providing a narrative describing these in populations.
- Assessing, measuring and describing the impacts of the influences and determinants on health.
- Making comparisons and identifying variation in services, health determinants, outcomes and status.
- Target setting for health improvement, monitoring performance and checking changes over time.
- Assessing and evaluating services and quantifying the impacts of prevention programmes.
- Overall, it’s knowing where to look for data, information and knowledge and having the ability to use that information safely and effectively in order to support decision making.
Underpinning all this is an approach to problems that considers things from the perspectives of person, place and time: an epidemiological approach that considers the distribution, causes and impacts of health and disease in populations from these perspectives.
What do we do in practice?
We work with colleagues to:
- Protect the health of the public.
- Prevent ill-health.
- Promote healthy lifestyles.
- Provide advice on the commissioning of health and care services to meet population needs.
How do we do this?
- Provide project based needs analysis, needs assessment and, through the local Health and Wellbeing Board, joint strategic needs assessment (JSNA).
- Give advice on the effective use of information analysis in the context of decision support for public health, healthcare and local authority services.
- Disseminate and develop the local picture of the Public Health Outcomes Framework (PHOF), and other public health data profiles, to help people to understand and improve health outcomes.
- Identify vulnerable populations and marginalised groups and conduct analytical work to identify and help to reduce inequalities in local health outcomes.
- Produce health and health determinant profiles and local narratives of health.
- Ensure an understanding of local performance and the impacts of interventions and services on health outcomes.
- Apply the evidence base to local public health and healthcare problems.
- Develop and maintain databases of public health intelligence data.
- Develop, maintain and publicise public health intelligence resources.
- Keep on top of developments in public health intelligence methods and data releases.
- Provide modelled population based data where local data are not available.
- Provide public health and analytical advice to the NHS, via the Clinical Commissioning Group.
- Deliver the information requirements for the Director of Public Health’s Annual Report.
- Overall, provide the analytical, public health expertise and local area knowledge to provide a sound local public health intelligence service to the local authorities, the NHS and our partners.
Public Health England
We work collaboratively with Public Health England’s Local Knowledge and Intelligence Service (LKIS) East. Public Health England hosts and runs a regional health intelligence network tha t holds regular meetings to share knowledge, to learn collectively about the use of intelligence resources and to work collaboratively. LKIS East of England can be contacted at LKISEast@phe.gov.uk.
Public Health England’s Fingertips Public Health Profiles platform provides a huge range of interactive subject-based population health intelligence resources and data downloads.
Public Health England’s data and knowledge gateway provides a subject based menu of resources.
Sensitive or confidential information
Please send to email@example.com.
- David Lea is the managerial lead for the service and can be contacted on 01480 379494 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jill Eastment: email@example.com
- Jon Moore: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Helen Whyman: email@example.com
- Ryan O’Neill line manages the Peterborough analysts and can be contacted on 01733 207179 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Gen Fitzjohn: email@example.com
- Beth Wakefield: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sue Hall provides administrative support and can be contacted on 01480 379493, 07508 916976 or email email@example.com
A version of the information on this page is available in Word: