The Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Joint Strategic Planning Unit (JSPU) works with the Cambridgeshire & Peterborough local authorities, and with relevant strategic bodies, to help develop a coherent approach to planning across the area.
Areas of work
The JSPU is involved in the following areas of work:
Supporting the local planning authorities in addressing the statutory duty to cooperate:
- Commissioned the Cambridgeshire County Council Research Group to produce the Population, Housing and Employment Forecasts Technical Report, and co-developed Cambridge Strategic Housing Market Assessment chapter 12: Forecasts for Homes of All Tenures to enable a consistent assessment of the demand for all homes across the Housing Market Area.
- Produced the Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Memorandum of Cooperation 2013.
- Produced the Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Strategic Spatial Priorities document.
- Produced the Cambridge & South Cambridgeshire Sustainable Development Strategy Review, which reviews what sustainable development means in the context of Cambridge and South Cambridgeshire, and assesses the sustainability of different broad spatial options for locating new developments.
- Produced the Addressing Adult Social Care Priorities through Planning in Cambridgeshire document.
- Provides ongoing support to local authorities at Local Plan examinations regarding housing and employment targets.
Working with relevant bodies on development of key strategies:
- Supported the preparation of a Strategic Economic Plan for the Greater Cambridge Greater Peterborough Local Enterprise Partnership area.
- Currently working on production of a Cambridgeshire Strategic Infrastructure Framework.
The JSPU is responsible to, and works on behalf of, all the local authorities in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough. Its work is overseen by the Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Joint Strategic Planning & Transport Member Group.
The Unit works closely with local authority chief planners and planning policy officers. Other key strategic partners include the Cambridge sub-Regional Housing Board, the Cambridgeshire County Council Transport & Infrastructure Strategy team, and the Greater Cambridge Greater Peterborough Local Enterprise Partnership.
The JSPU is based at South Cambridgeshire District Council offices in Cambourne.
The Unit is open to commissions for discrete strategic planning projects in areas outside of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough. For an initial discussion, please contact:
- JSPU Manager: John Williamson – firstname.lastname@example.org