House condition surveys
Periodically, district housing teams commission a survey of housing conditions, surveying a sample of privately owned and rented homes, so they can monitor the physical condition of homes and plan any action needed, accordingly.
Sometimes surveys also cover housing association homes. Some surveys look only at the outside condition of homes (roofs, windows, walls, wind and weather-tightness) and some include surveys of the inside of homes too (with the occupant's agreement). These can tell much more about housing conditions, energy efficiency, and whether homes reach the decent homes standard and/or pose a risk to health and safety.
Here are links to some recent housing condition surveys (usually for a sample of privately owned and rented homes) for the Cambridge housing sub-region. Such surveys are normally carried out every five years or maybe longer, and aim to help councils monitor conditions in housing across their area in order to plan investment or other action particularly for the homes in the worst condition, and/or where the most vulnerable residents are living.
- Cambridge 2009
- East Cambridgeshire 2009 and useful updates on this private sector housing webpage
- Fenland 2009
- Huntingdonshire 2010
- South Cambridgeshire 2007
- Forest Heath 2006
- St Edmundsbury summary and full report 2008
Strategic Housing Market Assessment (SHMA)
Our SHMA looks at a wide range of housing issues across the seven districts of our sub-region. Chapters on this page are arranged by theme, bringing together themes across the years, as we started publishing back in 2008. If you want to see the whole set of chapters "by year", please visit pur pages for the current version (published 2013) or for all previous versions.
Dwelling profile & condition
Ch4 Dwelling profile 2013 (228.97 KB)
Ch4 Dwelling profile and condition 2012 (207.74 KB)
Ch11 Dwelling profile 2010 (258.26 KB)
Ch11 Dwelling profile 2009 (294.06 KB)
Ch11 Dwelling profile and occupation 2008 (191.56 KB)
Ch12 Housing stock condition 2008 (304.31 KB)
Ch6 Private renting 2013 (703 KB)
Ch15 Private rented 2010 (328.4 KB)
Ch15 Private rented 2009 (243.7 KB)
- Ch15 Private rented 2008 (108.41 KB)
Joint Strategic Needs Assessment
Cambridgeshire Insight Atlases
- Interactive atlas | local housing allowance shows how future changes to housing allowances may our area.
- Interactive atlas | broad rental market areas sets out local housing allowance rates across the whole of England for 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2015-16
- Interactive atlas | Fuel poverty sets out the government's key measure for fuel poverty, looking at households on low incomes with high fuel costs
Cambridgeshire Insight Open Data
- How old id our housing? Open data from the Valuation Office Agency about the age band homes were built, as well as their council tax band, at a fairly detailed level (lower super output areas).
- Local Housing Allowance changes 2013 open data
- Broad Rental Market Areas showing Local Housing Allowance rates in open data
- Registered Provider housing in the Cambridge housing sub-region open data and data story
- Fuel poverty open data and data story
- We have piloted a new data atlas looking at housing stock condition, You can find the new atlas here.